Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Star Cookies

Mom used to make these every year at Christmas. I don't know where she got the recipe. It is not necessarily a Norwegian cookie, but I'm not sure! If it is, they must use a different name.

Mom made frosting out of powdered sugar and a little water or milk. So easy, we could make our own if we wanted some. She never frosted until just before serving, and a gumdrop, cut in half if large, went in the middle. 

Aunt Barbara gave me this recipe and it didn't have the raisins in it, because she doesn't care for them. While I don't generally care for raisins, to me they really make this cookie. So try it both ways if you aren't sure!

I use royal icing and frost as soon as they're cool. I don't care for gumdrops, so I use sprinkles or decorate with icing.

Despite the name, we cut into whatever shape we want.

The dough freezes well if needed - this makes a lot!

The following recipe is in Aunt Barbara's words as she sent to me, except I added the raisins back in, and the parts in parentheses!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup lite corn syrup
2 beaten eggs,
pinch salt
3/4 tsp each:  cloves, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg
2 1/2 - 3 1/2  cup flour
1 teas baking powder

1/2 c ground raisins
1/2 c ground nuts

Cream shortening and sugar. Add syrup, eggs (beaten), spices, raisins and nuts. Add flour enough to roll about 1/4" thick.

chill dough 2-3 hours (not really necessary)
roll out about 1/4 inch thick  (- or thicker if you wish and I usually do make them thicker - Aunt B)

cut out with Christmas cutters - tree, star, Santa, etc. bake 7-8 minutes or until a finger tap does not leave a print

Frosting them is fun - powdered sugar, milk or cream and a tad butter melted with the milk - Just before serving cookies.








No comments:

Post a Comment