Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Jill's Vegetable Beef Soup

This recipe was given by my dear friend Jill after we had it while visiting! It's the best! Truly one pound of beef is all you need, so it's an awesome way to stretch a pound of meat for a large family. 

Soup is so versatile, so have fun with it! It's probably going to be a little different every time. Personally, I like a lot of garlic, and don't like to use bouillon cubes. I love to add a big spoonful of organic miso paste to soups. I've mixed it up using various types of beef - coarse ground, picadillo, even stew beef. Honestly, my favorite is just plain ground beef, but anything is good. Add any veggies you like - we like potatoes or rutabaga, kale, green beans etc. I don't use the pasta.

Here's the original recipe, in Jill's words!

(Most all amounts are approximate!)
1 lb ground beef browned
1/2 cup red wine ( I use what may be on hand, Merlot usually)
3 - 4 bouillon cubes (optional)
salt & pepper to taste
Cajun spice to taste
1 med onion chopped
1 tsp chopped garlic (to taste or health need in my house!)
3 - 4 carrots chopped, or sliced
1/2 purple (or green if you prefer - I just love the color!) cabbage,
chopped
3 med zucchini diced
3/4 cup tiny pasta (I like alphabets)
1 large can diced tomatoes
3 large stalks celery chopped
1/2 bag of fresh spinach, chopped
2 boxes beef broth

Here's the order I do things: Brown hamburger and use wine to deglaze the pan after transferring meat to soup pot. Empty 1 box of beef broth to pot and set on low heat. Saute' onion, garlic, celery and carrots in small amount of beef broth so they can actually brown a bit. Add to soup pot, then add chopped cabbage, zucchini, and diced tomatoes. Add remainder of beef broth (use a small bit to dissolve bouillon), season and bring to boil. Add pasta to boiling soup, stirring frequently. I usually have to add water after pasta has cooked. Season to taste. I add spinach last, let it just wilt and serve. I don't let it cook down much to preserve the antioxidant punch and the color of course! Wonderful with some French bread and butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment